Rowland Hussey Macy moved to New York City in 1858 and founded R.H. Macy and Company. In 1893, the Straus brothers acquired ownership of Macy’s and Wechsler & Abraham in Brooklyn. Macy’s kept its original name while Wechsler and Abraham was changed to Abraham and Straus. The two companies were run separately but under the same ownership until 1915 when Nathan Straus’ family took control of Abraham and Straus and Isidor Straus’ family took control of Macy’s.
In 1902, the Straus brothers moved the store uptown to its current location on 34th and Broadway. The Broadway building was designed by De Lemos and Cordes. The 7th Avenue additions were designed by Robert D. Kohn in 1924, 1928, and 1931.
Macy’s is on the National Register #78001873, and it is also a National Historic Landmark.